The Butterfly

My garden was bright on a summer morn
And a butterfly on the breeze was borne,
From tasting the sweets of each early flower,
To the quiet shade of my garden bower.

With a voice as soft as a waving leaf,
It whisper'd a tale of joy and grief---
The low sweet song a butterfly sings
To the noiseless beat of its golden wings.

" O scorn not the voice of a creature so light,
For my wings with the morning sun are bright,
And I dance with the lily and live in the rose
With almost the joy an angel knows.

" I came from a cell, with a leaf for my cot,
And a dark night of sorrow was early my lot,
Till, rock'd by the winds and bathed by the dew,
A sunbeam awoke me to nothing I knew.

" From the door of my prison I look'd out alone,
My wings yet wet, and my strength ungrown ;
But at last came a breeze, full of frolic and play,
And laughingly, lovingly bore me away,

" then my spirit grew strong, for my hopes were high,
And broad were my wings when I spread them to fly ;
I gleam'd through the ocean of sweetness and light,
A creature all new in a world all bright.

" O little I dream'd in the night of my grief,
In my dark lonely cell underneath the broad leaf,
How queenly a dress should be mine on the morrow,
How blessed a dawn from the night of my sorrow.

" And thou, while the clouds gather dark in the night,
Be sure that the day will dawn gladly and bright :
Thy Father hath sent thee a message by me---
If He cared for a worm, will He not care for thee ?

"  With patience and prayer let the dark hours go by,
Love makes its own heaven of a tear or a sigh---
As the night of thy sorrow is darker than mine,
So my joyous awaking is nothing but thine."

Written by
Matilda Cotterell.






No comments:

Authors/Poets

A. T. Page Aaminah Adam Sedgwick Barnard Al Daffern Alfred A. Cole Alfred Moss Alicia Stawicki Alison R Reed Andrew Clayton Andrew Simon Angela Garratt Annie Colenso Symons Anonymous Anzel Mahmood Arthur Brockhurst Arthur Cyril Harrison Bryan Griffin Carolyn Bayliss Catherine Gorvin Catherine Wilson Christine Beebee Clifton L Pinnock Daisy Daniel J Robertson David Calcutt Dee Howell Dennis Wright Dolores Grant Dom Donna Hill Dorothy Pattison Edward F. Joyce Elaine Taylor Elijah Stanley Elisha Slater Emily Lea Ermine Campbell Francesca Jackson Francis Paul Palmer Frank George Layton Frederic W. Willmore George Cotterell George Evans Gloria Reid Harold M. Barrows Harold Parry Herbert Bennett Hubert Deacon Harrison Ian Henery James A. Aldis Jennifer Beth Blake Jessie Lee Shannon Joan Warner Joanne Kendrick Joanne Shaw John Kilbourn John MacMillan Joseph Dixon Josey Durrant Josiah Turner Karoline Bobrowski Katie Hughes Leandra Gebrakedan M P Houslin Madeline Hindsley Manolita Margaret Lampitt Mark Bassett Martin Hughes Mary Darwall Matilda Cotterell Matthew Wells Maurice Birch Mercedes Michael Cronogue Mr Aitch Natalie Ivanova Neth Brown Oscar Roszczenko Otis Francis Paul Christopher Walton Paulina Kisiecka Peace the Poet Peter Wilkes R. M. Lockley Richard Archer Richard Leigh Richard Worrall Rio Lecointe Rob Edwards. Robert Curtis Robert Wlodarz Sharon Harlow Sir Henry John Newbolt Skiz1 Stuart Williams Supa MC Terence John Mills The Rev. A. Hampden Lee The Rev. Alexander Gordon The Rev. John H. Robison W. H. Robinson Yasmin Fatima Zebideejones

Contact 100 Walsall Poems

Name

Email *

Message *